Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dad




Today marks six years since my father passed away. The memory of his death still remains so painful. The fact that he was so sick, and suffering eases in a sense that I am thankful he is no longer suffering, but doesn't make it easier to not hear his voice, know he is around to talk to, listen to, or just be with. I still remember me and my sisters all lined up in a row, after taking our baths, five of us, ready to have our hair combed out, and he was ready with the comb, and patiently released all of the knots from our hair. He clipped our nails, and made sure we were ready for bed. He bought us things like tonka trucks, and remote control cars, all of which we LOVED! I remember when the Nintendo first came out, and he came home with one after work. My mom asked why in the world would he buy that for 5 girls? He just threw up his arms, and said "Why not?" We loved it, and all quickly mastered Super Mario Brothers. He never played it, which only said that he truly bought it for us because he knew we would like it, and we sure did. I remember all the good times with my father, the not so good time, and I think most of all, I learned patience from him. I also remember the night I received the call that he had passed away. I have never felt such a hollowness ever in my life. My heart sank and broke into pieces, and I remember feeling like I was falling into a dark hole. I knew the time was coming soon, he wasn't going to live much longer, but it didn't matter, and it didn't make it easier to get the news that my dad was gone from this earth. I was thinking of my brother, how unfair it is that he was only ten years old, and no longer had a father to guide him, build things with, and show him how to be a man (although little Grant is doing mighty fine despite loosing our father). How must he feel, being such a young child, and not having his father anymore.

I love you Dad, I miss you, and can't wait to be with you again someday.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Darn it, Anna, now I'm crying. That really was a beautiful tribute post to your Dad. I'm glad families are eternal.

Kelly said...

Ok that just made me cry! Your dad sounds like an amazing guy and I'm glad you have so many good memories about him. Write them down so you can share them with your brother and your kids.

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm really sorry to read this. I always remember what a down to earth, great guy you dad was. one time I went on splits with him to the hospital to give a guy from you're home ward in WA a blessing. His genuine concern and calm personality was something I still remember, along with all the self help tapes. I remember helping him in Midway Utah, before I came up to Wa. to help you move to lovely utah. I still can't believe the big cat hunt when we stopped at a rest area. It amazes me that twenty years have gone by since then and I have often wondered what time has done with all of you. I know I won't ever forget your Dad and the Christlike example he was to me years ago.
Shane D. Cook (Elder Cook)